Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Assistive Technology

To be quite honest, before departing on my webquest I had very little knowledge of assistive technologies and AAC.  It's difficult to have prior knowledge of these tools when you have little to no prior experience in special education.  I have seen students with communication boards before, but I had absolutely no knowledge of how they worked.  I imagine as a special education teacher I will quickly become familiar with various types of assistive technologies, as they seem to be very useful and effective.  I can't wait to jump in and get some hands on experience.  No matter how much I read about it, my real comprehension will begin when I enter the classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Of course, you can never prepare yourself for every scenario or student you may encounter, but hopefully this task provided you with guidance as to what resources are available. Just as you mentioned, you didn't know much about the communication board the student used, now you may know why and how they use it and how something like that might get funded. Keep some of the links handy-- as you never know when you might need them!

    ReplyDelete